Chairman’s Board at Wimbledon showing A.H. Riseley
World War 11
Perhaps the person who did most to keep the club going during this time was the remarkable Sir Egbert Cadbury, singles winner in 1928. He had settled in Abbots Leigh joined the family firm and was instrumental in the merger of Cadbury’s with Fry’s. He was to have a lifelong connection with CLTC. From 1936-48 he was alternately men’s captain or Chairman, travelling on horseback during the war over the Suspension Bridge to committee meetings at the club. In recognition of his services he was made club President in 1948, only the second in its history.
Meanwhile another member of our club was doing the same at Wimbledon. A.H. Riseley, older brother of Frank, whom we last saw playing together for the Gloucestershire team, had become associated with the All England Lawn Tennis Club and, according to Lance Tingay in his book 100 Years of Wimbledon, ‘had done as much as anyone to keep the club alive amid the hardships and difficulties of the war’. He was appointed to the management committee in 1946, became Chairman in 1953 and Vice President from 1956 to his death in 1961.